Achieve painting at home requires some knowledge. If it is possible to call in a professional (it is however recommended to estimate the price of your painting work beforehand), everyone is able to paint or repaint a room, with good advice. In this guide, we offer to guide you in the choice of your paint, the material and to assist you in carrying out your work.
The choice of paint: a crucial step
First of all, it is essential to be well equipped. This goes, of course, through the choice ofa suitable paint.
Low odor, acrylic paint dries quickly and turns out less toxic than other products. If it is appreciated by DIY enthusiasts, it is also because of its easy cleaning. Indeed, it suffices to clean the brushes with water, after use. Healthier for you, but also for the environment, acrylic paint contains little solvent and adapts to any type of room.
Little toxic, this paint is easier to work. Thanks to it, it is possible to create beautiful glossy or lacquered finishes. You will therefore have to choose it, if you want to obtain this rendering. Like acrylic paint, alkyd paint generates little odor and dries quickly, in less than an hour.
- The mat finish : we will opt for this solution, if the wall to be repainted has imperfections or small holes. However, the most damaged walls must be repaired with putty, before being repainted. The mat finish provides a particularly elegant and sober finish.
- The satin finish : it has a long lifespan and is ideal for bathrooms and kitchens, even if it can be adopted for any room in the house. On the other hand, the satin finish is easier to clean.
- The shiny finish : we will choose it, to bring more light to a room. The paints with glossy finish are washable and easy to maintain.
Choose the right paint material
You now know a little more about the paint to choose for your next work. However, to obtain a satisfactory result, it is strongly recommended to bring the appropriate equipment.
The roller, unlike the brush, allows paint a larger area, and therefore to save time. If it cannot be considered for the finishes, it will however allow you to carry out the "heavy work". It consists of a sleeve, a cylinder made of synthetic, natural fibers or mixed fibers. We will opt for the synthetic version for applying a water-based paint. There is also a frame, as well as an ergonomic handle.
Most commercially available rollers are removable. Also, when the sleeve is at the end of its life, you will be able to remove it and replace it with a new accessory.
Several brushes are available in DIY stores, and online:
- The flat brush, allowing to cover a large area.
- The round brush, for precision work.
- The finishing brush which, as the name suggests, allows you to polish the last details, like the angles for example, or the top of the plinths.
To protect the part to be painted, you will also need several accessories:
- A tarp, which you will place on the floor to protect it from paint drops.
- The paint tray : essential, it allows you to work the material and remove the excess paint on the sleeve, for cleaner work.
- A pole : it is to be preferred, for all painting work at height.
- A mixer: manual or rotary, this equipment allows you to mix the pigments in the paint well, for a uniform result.
Prepare the part and the surface to be painted
Do you have all the essential equipment to get started in painting and are you ready to get started? First of all, it is crucial to properly prepare the part concerned. Here are our tips:
- A room at the right temperature : so that the paint does not dry too quickly, or on the contrary does not dry at all, we recommend preserving a temperature, between 10 and 20 degrees.
- Adequate humidity : a room that is too humid will prevent the paint from drying out. When the humidity is too high, the drying is then too fast. Also, maintain an optimal rate, by turning on the heater or placing water containers in the room.
- Soil protection : as we mentioned before, protecting the floors with a tarpaulin is essential. To fix it effectively, opt for a roll of tape for work.
- Cleaning of the part concerned : vacuum the floor before starting work and dust off any furniture in the room.
You are now ready to start painting your walls!
Our advice, for a successful painting
The first step is to paint edges and angles. For this, favor the round brush. Then immerse your roller in the paint tray and drain it, to avoid drips. It is best to start by painting a small area of one square meter, applying the material in vertical bands then in horizontal bands, in order to avoid any traces of passage. In this way, the paint will be applied evenly.
When you change zones, don't hesitate to overflow on the previous. In this way, the connection will not be noticeable. Once the wall is fully painted, allow it to dry and then apply a second or even a third coat to obtain the finish that suits you perfectly.
Our advice : If you also want to paint the ceiling of a room, do this first, before applying the paint on the walls. To do this, start with the angles and edges, then make strips of horizontal and then vertical paints. Again, several layers will certainly be necessary.